Friday, July 24, 2009

Peach and Blueberry Crumble


One of the best things about summer is the abundance of fresh fruit. I remember going to my Maw Maw's house in north Louisiana every summer and having to go to the Peach Orchard in Ruston, LA to buy fresh peaches. For some reason, I always thought I hated the taste of peaches, but I did love how they smelled. Once I finally tasted a peach, I kicked myself for not eating more of them in my life.

My mom just went to a peach orchard near home and brought back huge fresh peaches. I still pick them up and smell them whenever I walk into my kitchen. It takes me back to being in Simsboro, LA at my Maw Maw's house.

In the original recipe for this crumble, Ina says to put the peach and blueberry mixture into ramekins or custard cups. I had neither of the two, so I used my 9x13 pan. Whichever you use, be sure to place it on a sheet pan just in case the fruit boils over while it's baking.

Peach and Blueberry Crumble
Adapted from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home

For the fruit:
2 lbs firm, ripe peaches (6-8 peaches)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh blueberries (1/2 pint)

For the crumble:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 lb (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until their skins peel off easily. Place them immediately in cold water. Peel the peaches, slice them into thick wedges, and place them in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the blueberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into a 9x13 pan.
For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter into the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. (If you do not have an electric mixer, use a pastry cutter or a fork to combine.) Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it's in big crumbles, them sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Place the 9x13 pan on a sheet plan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails