Monday, September 14, 2009

Mushroom Rigatoni


Hi everyone! Remember me? It seems that it's been ages that I've cooked anything! Probably because, it has been ages! The last thing I made was tacos from an Old El Paso kit. :)

So, where have I been? I've been in Little Rock, AR for one of my best friends/college roommate for 3 years/sorority sister's wedding. I had the lovely honor of being her Maid of Honor. I had to leave out of here Thursday after work so my kitchen has sat dormant since Wednesday night.

When I got back home last night, I was absolutely exhausted but drove my happy butt to Neighborhood Market to find inspiration for dinner. I had read this recipe and tried to remember what was in it while I was shopping.

This pasta dish was ok. Nothing too special and nothing I have to make again without some major tweaks. I think if I had made it the way the original recipe was written, it would have had more flavor. However, I couldn't not remember all of the ingredients. So below is what I did. Be sure to check out the original recipe and try that as well.

Mushroom Rigatoni
Adapted from Rachael Ray

1 pound rigatoni pasta
Salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup dry Italian red wine
2 to 3 stems rosemary, stripped and finely chopped, a couple of tablespoons
Black pepper
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Parmesan Cheese

Directions
Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Add salt and cook rigatoni to al dente. Reserve about a cup of the pasta water in case the sauce is too thick.

Heat a large deep skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until shallot is soft. Add in the mushrooms and cook until brown and tender. Add wine and reduce a minute. Scatter the rosemary into the pan and turn to distribute the herb. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes. Add in some pasta water if the sauce is too thick.

Drain pasta and add to warm pot. Toss the pasta with the sauce and top with Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails