Sunday, September 6, 2009

Skillet Lasagna

What may come as no surprise to you, I love lasagna. The little frozen Stouffer's lasagnas are what I lived on my Freshmen year of college. So, when I made lasagna for Brian the first time, guess what he said...

"I don't really like lasagna."

What?! No lasagna ever?? It was a very upsetting day, but I'm stubborn enough to not let that stop me from making lasagna. I just have to be creative.

Food Network Magazine came to my rescue in their last issue. There it was, staring at me, this beautiful skillet lasagna. It was an answer to my lasagna prayers. Plus it's a one pot meal so less cleanup! I used some short-cuts to make it easier on myself. And yes, while it is a one pot meal, I still dirtied up about 5 bowls in the prep work. Which leads me to another tip, get all of the prep done before you ever turn the skillet on. I also used Fresh mozzarella, which I don't think I will again. Fresh mozzarella has a ton of water in it and the water just seeped out in the sauce. So next time I will try it with a regular block of mozzarella to see the difference.

Skillet Lasagna
Adapted from Food Network Magazine

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil and/or parsley, plus more for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
6 sheets no-bake lasagna noodles
1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
1 zucchini, peeled into ribbons
1/3 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

Directions
Heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic; cook until golden, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a bowl. Return 1 cup of the sauce to the skillet and reduce the heat to low; reserve the remaining sauce.

Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, egg, parmesan, the remaining 3 tablespoons herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl.

Place 2 lasagna noodles over the sauce in the skillet. Layer half of the carrot and zucchini on top; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with half of the ricotta mixture, a few pieces of mozzarella and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved tomato sauce. Repeat the layers, ending with noodles. Top with the remaining sauce and mozzarella. Cover and simmer until the lasagna is cooked and the cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes.

Let rest for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with more parmesan and fresh herbs.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ha! Zach said the same thing to me when I wanted to make lasagna for him. And guess what? Now he ASKS me to make the recipe I sent you! So funny, those men. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails