Friday, January 29, 2010

Chicken Tamale Casserole

Brian's a freak for casseroles. I don't believe he's ever met one he didn't like. I'm sure I could dream up one he would hate, but it would be tough. I've never been a fan of them due to my picky eating habits that I've grown up with. But I'm learning to like them. It helps that I'm the one making them, so I know what's in them.

It seems like I made this casserole the same week practically everyone I knew made this casserole. It is quite tasty and easy to assemble. Next time I'll add a chopped jalapeno to the base to give it some extra heat.

Chicken Tamale Casserole
Source: Tasty Kitchen as adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend, Divided
1/3 cups Milk
1 whole Egg
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/8 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper
1 box Corn Muffin Mix (such As Jiffy)
15 ounces, weight Cream Style Corn
4 ounces, weight Chopped Green Chilies (drained)
10 ounces, weight Red Enchilada Sauce
2 cups Shredded Chicken (I Use Rotisserie)
1/2 cups Sour Cream, optional

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup cheese, milk, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn muffin mix, corn, and green chilies; stir until moist. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Bake for 15 minutes. Pierce surface liberally with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over the top. Top with chicken and remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top if you prefer.


Printable version


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails