Saturday, June 19, 2010

Peanut Butter & Cheddar Dog Treats



Five years ago, I was fresh out of college and working as a secretary in a government office. It was, to say the least, a good job but brutally boring. So I spent a lot of time shopping online...sorry, but it's true. One day I got a wild hair to find a dog. Somehow, I came across this little baby, black and white, Cocker Spaniel named Bandy born on June 19, 2005. Weeks later, he was mine and I changed his name to Jack.

I can't imagine not having my beautiful fur-baby, Jack! I usually make him something special for his birthday, so this year I chose to combine two of his favorite foods--peanut butter and cheese.

Humans can eat them too, but we're too scared to try them. Brian actually came home when I was gone and the treats were still out cooling. He got a little scared that I'd make him try one since he thought they were for him!

Peanut Butter & Cheddar Dog Treats
Source: Southern, Eh?

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. skim milk
1 Tbsp. baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In one bowl, mix together peanut butter and milk until blended. Mix in cheese.
3. Mix in flour and baking powder. Pulse slowly, or you'll have flour all over your face, your arms and your kitchen cabinets.
4. On a floured smooth, clean surface, pull together dough and roll out to 1/4"-1/3" thickness (I would keep them thick so that they won't get too dark). Cut out with cookie cutters or a small glass, or even just cut into cute shapes with a sharp knife.
5. Place treats on parchment lined baking sheet (or greased cookie sheet).
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Printable Version

Happy Birthday, Jack!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails