Monday, August 3, 2009

Spicy Shrimp Creole


My family is from Louisiana. My mom was born in northern Louisiana and my dad was born in southern Louisiana. I was also born in southern Louisiana. My poor brother was born in Mississippi, but he's Cajun at heart, and we can't fault him for where my parents were living at the time. :) Growing up, we had a lot of Cajun/Creole food. My mom had to learn how make most of it after she and my dad got married, because she didn't grow up eating Cajun food.

The first time my Maw Maw (my mom's mom) had this she said "It's good, but it sure is hot!" My mom said that of course, I didn't mind the heat since I was a little Cajun.

I honestly, don't think it's all that hot, but I eat a lot of spicy things. Rotel tomatoes come in different strengths, so you can go with whatever your family likes to eat.

Spicy Shrimp Creole
Source: My mom

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. minced parsley
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup water
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. salt
Hot, cooked rice

Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat; add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Reduce heat; stir in shrimp and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, onion, parsley, and green pepper; cook 2 minutes. Gradually add water, stirring constantly; cook over medium heat until thickened. Stir in tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, bay leaves, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot rice.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails